Tuesday, March 18, 2014

DIY Rope Mirror

As you will all find out I am somewhat of a Pinterest junkie! If you have never used Pinterest you are sorely losing out. Pinterest is my happy place. A place where all my favorite things and things that are waiting to be my favorite things are in picture form! I go there and browse most times. Pinning things that look interesting or pretty. One day while browsing I came across a pin for a rope mirror. I thought it was a cool idea (being that I love almost all things nautical/beachy/coastal) but never even pinned it. 


Then after our Master Bedroom Renovation we were left with a raw frame around our vanity mirror. I had been contemplating what I would do to it and paint seemed like the easiest option. After stewing over it for about a week a light bulb went off in my head reminding me about that pin I saw for the rope mirror. So back to Pinterest I went in search of this rope mirror idea. I quickly came across numerous pictures of rope mirrors that you could make or buy, but the best pin I found was by a fellow blog Finding Silver Linings. Her post was so helpful and her mirror looked great. It was decided...rope mirror for my vanity!


This weekend I was off to the store to buy my rope. 





I was so excited I even took a picture of the rope in my cart!



Everything that I needed for this quick project was: 
  • 78ft of rope
  • Glue sticks 
  • Glue gun




Here is my vanity mirror before the rope.




I started by taking one of the ends of the rope and cutting it on an angle. This will help it to look more seamless at the starting and ending points. 



I decided where I would start my gluing and applied a a bit of glue to the end of the rope that I just cut. I started gluing the rope on the inside of the frame rather than the outside. This made sure that the inside of the frame closest to the mirror was perfect.






After wrapping the frame until the width was completely covered I was left with the corners of the frame exposed. The thickness of this rope did not allow me to create a 90 degree angle in the corner so I have curved corners instead. Thus the leftover corners. I cut the rope to the length I needed to cover the corner (note I angled both ends). In each corner I had to apply two "patches" of shorter pieces to fully cover the corner. 



This is what the width of the mirror looked like. There were quite a few stray pieces of rope poking out all over so I just took my scissors and trimmed them. 




This is what the mirror looked like after! It only cost a few bucks and it took about two hours which is not long for a DIY project and I got a really cool looking mirror out of it. Best part is, my husband loves it! 


Hope you enjoyed this post. Please leave questions or comments below if you have any :)






5 comments :