Friday, March 14, 2014

Master Bedroom: Renovation Reveal


This is the post that I have been so excited about sharing! Nick and I completely renovated our master bedroom last month and we are loving the transformation. 


We initially decided to rid our room of the old wall unit ac that you see in the picture below. From there a whole new room came to fruition. We could not stop adding things to our list until the entire room had been redone. Nick kept telling me " the room is already gutted and the house is full of dust, we might as well do it all one time". And that we did. We were so blessed from all the help we received from family and friends during this project! So thanks to all of you :)


Here is our first major renovation... 




Here is our master bedroom before.  You can see these photos in my first post





 Removing the old wall unit ac.


We also decided to remove the built in desk and shelving that was in the corner of the room. I look forward to making it a little reading nook eventually.



This was our vanity area before. You can see in this photo the low ceiling with the plastic sheeting covering florescent lights. This was a feature that Nick insisted we remove. I on the other hand was not completely sold. All I was thinking about was the dust and how much it would cost of course. 



Needless to say Nick got his way  and down came the ceiling. This is one of the best decisions we made during this renovation.



This picture is from the attic looking down into the bedroom. Bye bye low ceiling and horrible lighting!


Here is our new ceiling! We installed sheet rock to cover the hole to the attic and joint compounded it for a nice smooth finish. 


If you look back to the before picture of the room you will notice that we had tray lighting along one wall of the room. This is what it looked like once we pulled the entire tray down. We decided the tray would just be a place for dust to collect and it would not be easy to clean. It was a tough decision because the trays (which are located in almost every room of the house) were an original architectural addition that I liked when we initially bought the house. But like everything else we did in this reno it turned out perfectly in the end!



Here is a shot where you can see the same area after the tray was removed and the new ceiling was put in place. It makes the room look so much larger, especially when you walk in the bedroom door. 



See what I mean? The room looks so much larger and more airy.



In the vanity area we primed and painted all the wood planking, removed the mirrors and the light fixture. 

For lighting we installed recessed lighting in the new ceiling and added two wall sconces over the vanity.



Two other things we decided to add to the list was pickling the wood ceiling and adding a nice frame and sill to the windows in the room. 



Here is a full shot of the room prior to painting. I also forgot to mention that we decided to rip up the old carpet and install tile. You know "we might as well do it all one time" got tossed in here as well. Although I'm pretty sure it was me that pushed for the tile!

When it came time to decide on a paint color for the room I knew in my head what I wanted. I just needed to attempt to get the exact color from the paint store. Hence the samples of color painted on the back wall.  



I ended up going with a great khaki looking color called Natural Wicker by Benjamin Moore.



I would like to insert here a big tip to my fellow DIYers! Please please please remember to thoroughly clean your walls off (especially after a major reno) prior to applying primer or paint to the walls. If you don't this is what could happen to your wall! Not fun! Let's just say lesson learned.




Then it was time to choose the tile. I knew that I wanted the wood looking tile for our bedroom. There is no maintenance involved like real wood but it looks like real wood. Perfect! So Nick and I went off to Pinder Tile in search of our tiles. 

I was pretty sure I wanted a very light sand colored tile. Nick, however decided he liked the grey tile better. We got the input from my father-in-law and a friend who happened to be there and we decided to go with Nick's choice. The grey tile is gorgeous! It is textured and has lots of interest thanks to the brown that swirls through the gray color looking almost like driftwood. Good job to Nick on this one!



With our tile being almost complete I could not help poking my head in a taking a picture of the progress. I was so excited about this flooring! 

You may be wondering what the dark green floor is all about. We discovered after removing the old carpet and matting (which was a complete disaster thanks to heat I'm sure) that the floor had quite a few cracks that needed to be dealt with. It made no sense to lay our nice new tiles on a floor that was cracked and would allow moisture to get to the thinset. That meant purchasing and applying a liquid rubber membrane to the floor and patching the cracks with a fiberglass-like cloth. Better safe than sorry right ?




This is the vanity area after. Mirror is installed and the frame is up. The frame is not complete yet. That is another project that I am excited to share with you in another post! 

Please keep in mind in these after shots that none of the decor for this room has been added as yet. I will be sure to post pictures as I decide on pictures or art work and other accessories. 










I hope you all like the new room! I know that Nick and I do. I still walk in there thinking there is no way this is my room. It's a great feeling to know that all the hard work has truly paid off. 

I know this post was long and had lots of info but please feel free to leave questions or comments below. Thanks again for reading!!

P.S. for more pictures of the completed end tables in the room go on over to the End Table Revamp post!

post signature

2 comments :

  1. You totally hit it out of the park! I am so in love with your gorgeous bedroom - looks so cozy and professionally done :) - Lindsay

    ReplyDelete