Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Master Bedroom: Allover Wall Stencil Project


This wall stencil project is my favorite to date! The process is not one that I will be in a rush to go through again but the results were just what I had hoped for. 


After realizing my wall paper dreams for our accent wall in the master bedroom were not going to come true, one of my ingenious friends suggested a stencil. I figured it would not hurt to look but I doubted I would find the specific lattice pattern that I had my heart set on. Well I was completely wrong! My search concluded on Etsy at store called OMGStencils where I found the pattern that my heart desired! 


After receiving the stencil I went to my local paint store in search of the perfect blue for my accent wall. I ended up with Benjamin Moore's Symphony Blue. I felt it would be the perfect navy without being dark enough to appear black in our dimly lit master bedroom.



This project took about twenty hours to complete and by the end of it my arm felt like it would drop off. Looking back on the finished wall I am glad I stuck it out and finished it but I won't be in a rush to do another wall stencil (unless its on a much smaller wall). 


 


 With the help of my grandfather I found the center of the wall and started my stencil there. This would ensure that I ended both sides with the same part of the pattern and the wall would look more symmetric. I then put a few pieces of painters tape on the edges of the stencil to hold it in place while I painted. I opted to use a brush rather than a roller for this project. Rollers hold quite a bit of paint and I was worried that would mean paint drains behind the stencil. Besides my grandfather suggested I use the paint brush method and he is an expert painter so that's all that I needed to steer me in the brush direction!
 


Pulling the stencil off of the first completed section was so exciting! I could not wait to see if it worked. It was perfect! No paint drains and the color looked fairly even. You could imagine I was absolutely ecstatic! Then I looked at the wall as a whole and thought to myself, "Oh great, only about 100 more of those to go!".



At this point I am looking at my wall and thinking how much I will love it when its finished. My husband and mother on the other hand are looking at it a bit confused, thinking it would be to "busy" for our master bedroom wall. I told them they were crazy and would just need to wait to see the finished product with all the furniture back in the room. And so I pressed on...





And on, and on, and on. My weekend was non-existent thanks to this wall! But finally late Sunday afternoon my last part of the wall was covered and I was overjoyed and sore at the same time. It was finally finished and I was extremely prideful of my newest project / work of art. 

I did not include a picture of the wall 100% complete on this post. I am saving that for the master bedroom unveil! Please feel free to leave any questions or comments about this post below.

post signature

2 comments :

  1. That's really beautiful! I have a question for you - as I understand it you have to pull the stencil off while the paint is still wet, but I see you did some overlapping with the stencil (presumably to get the pattern to line up perfectly). Did you wait for the area you were overlapping the stencil on to dry slightly before moving on to the next area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danielle! I actually waited a few minutes for my paint to dry to touch before pulling the stencil off. I found that this worked better for me because I would be overlapping and just to be sure I didn't smudge the paint when pulling the stencil off. So by the time I overlapped the stencil for my next section the paint was dry. I hope this helps you out. Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete