Thursday, May 29, 2014

Old Made New: Vintage Finds!

Hello Everyone! I am so excited to share with you a few of the fabulous finds that I have acquired for our house. I am lucky enough to know someone that has been in charge of getting rid of some old furniture that happens to be so fitting for our home's theme. 


I acquired a pair of McGuire caned oval back chairs. I'm sure most of you may be saying, "so what does that mean"? Well, after four of these beauties hit an online selling site for a great price I knew I needed them! I did not know what or who McGuire was and did not even know the chairs may be worth a lot more than what they were being sold for. What I did know was they were beautiful and had big potential for becoming the accent chairs I needed for our living room. 


A friend of mine also wanted the chairs but decided we could agree on splitting them. She took two and I took two. After a close inspection she notices the gold plaque underneath the chair with the McGuire inscription. After paying for and collecting my chairs I did a bit of my own research. I found that on McGuire's website new dinning room chairs retail from about $1,000 to $2,500 each. In fact they sell the same chair on their website with instructions to contact a location for pricing. I then took to Ebay. I came across a set of four of the same chairs in a used condition that are being sold for $2,200.00! That is crazy to me, that's $550 per chair! 

I'm sure by now your curiosity is killing you and you want to know what I paid for the chairs to make it such a good deal? The answer is $37.50 each!


I have had these chairs for a few months and I finally decided to go and purchase the fabric for reupholstering them. 



The fabric on the far left is a Bahama Hand Prints frond print in chocolate brown on white fabric to be used as the seat and seat back. The center fabric is a turquoise-green fabric to be used for the piping on the seat back. The last fabric is for a different chair that I will share in this post as well. It is a sailboat print on tan fabric.  


These chairs were upholstered by a professional. The only DIY here was the choosing of the fabrics and the placement. I was so excited to get them back and see my idea come to reality! I am in love with how they turned out! So naturally I took tons of pictures to share :)














I have more to share! 

Remember the sailboat print fabric? Well this is where it went! I scored this chair from someone that was leaving the island. The cushions were a beige and red color fabric which would not have gone well in my master bedroom so I had them recovered. This chair is going to be the main piece of furniture for the reading nook in my room. 

I will be spraying the base of the chair white and share that process in another post. 




I also want you to notice my favorite Target finds from my last trip to America. The anchor bookends! I can't wait to get my shelves up and style them with these. 




I also have a few other projects in the works. These pieces were found in a warehouse of discarded furniture and other random items. They were dirt cheap and have so much potential! 



This faux bamboo chair and ottoman is going to be fabulous after a coat of paint and some newly covered cushions. 



 I also scored this faux bamboo framed mirror. I am still debating on painting this. I guess i'm holding out until I know which room its new home will be. What do you think? To paint or not to paint?


I hope you have enjoyed my new projects! Be sure to check back for updates on those projects in the works as well. 


Thanks for reading! :)


post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment